Build Our Center is thrilled to be chosen the charity of the month for Art Walk Reno.
We have always been closely tied with the arts community and we are happy to develop even deeper roots. Stop by, say hi….maybe make a button:)
We will be at West Street Market from 5-7:30.
Restaurants, galleries and businesses in the downtown Reno Arts District are bustling every first Thursday because of Art Walk Reno.
November 5th from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., join us and see the works of local and regional artists on display in venues within the Arts District, between Liberty Street and Second Street, and Virginia Street and Arlington Avenue.
The walk officially begins at 5 p.m. at West Street Market, 148 West Street in downtown Reno.
Featured artists in November Angie Terrell and Carlos Martinez will have limited edition hand painted glasses and signed, numbered prints.
The raffle will be at Noble Pie Parlor, 8:15 p.m. with $400 dollars in prizes, including a $200 voucher towards any piece of art on the walk.
After party is at Pignic Pub & Patio with Loud As Folk, we will both be raising funds for Build Our Center. Sponsored by Se7en Teahouse.
Tickets also available at Art Indeed! & Sundance Books and Music.
Tell them if you plan on going and RSVP on FB. https://www.facebook.com/events/1644805922441999/
WE’RE ON THE HUNT FOR OUR NEW HOME! Do YOU have any connections?
Let us know if you find a space that could suit our needs!
The following is a list of “wants” for the building/space for the future LGBT Community Center. This list was compiled by the Board of Director’s, after discussion with members of the community. While we would love to find a space that meets all of our requirements, we are aware that this may not be possible due to resources and availability. Because of this, there will be tradeoffs that need to be made.
Ideally, the following are our requirements/preferences:
• Roughly $3,000 per month including power, water, sewer (based on having 3 years worth of rental cost/utilities in the bank)
• Roughly 1500 – 3000 square feet (larger possible, if within above budget)
• At least one meeting space that will accommodate a minimum of 25 people
• Separate space large enough for a youth drop-in center (roughly 500 square feet)
• Centrally located in midtown, downtown, Wells corridor, or adjacent (ideally, a safe location)
• Located near, or on, main public transportation routes
• Good signage/visibility
• ADA compliant (if possible)
• Dedicated bathrooms within leased space that are only used by the Center’s patrons
• Ample parking or access to parking
• Landlord/co-tenants and patrons of co-tenants that will be accepting of the Center’s patrons and youth to create a comfortable atmosphere
• Landlord/co-tenants that will allow for the Center to be open later hours than normal business hours and on weekends
• Working kitchen area
• Stand-alone space preferred
• Commercial property, but suitable residential/mixed use can be considered if zoning allows for the Center
• Preferred sublet/retail space available
• Potential for build-out based on needs (potential to divide space for meeting space, office spaces, bathrooms, kitchen, storage, youth lounge, retail, etc.)
Here’s a peek at some of the places we have seen…
It’s time for Guerrilla Queer Bar — October Edition. Wednesday 5-7pm.
We will be congregating at “The Wal” (Little Waldorf Saloon)
It’s up near UNR.
It’s also a restaurant so all ages are welcomed.
THURSDAY, October 15th is Spirit Day!
Presented by GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation), Spirit Day encourages everyone to wear purple to show support for LGBT youth and take a stand against bullying.
Change your profile picture on Facebook by getting the Spirit Day app!
Build Our Center is a proud sponsor of the OutWest Film Festival.
Check out the list of Outwest Films coming to Reno.
All Shorts/Films will either be at the Nevada Museum of Art or Good Luck Macbeth.
Join us at Carl’s Saloon on the 3rd Sunday of every month for their Community Beer Bust.
We are so thankful to groups that want to keep us funded and saving for a center. It’s a center all of the community can benefit from.
Proceeds will benefit Build Our Center.
3rd Sunday every month. 3-8pm